Quote of the Day

1.07.2008

Two Classical Music CD Contests & a Brief History of the Bach Family

Two classical music contests await you.

1. Analekta is giving away a Christmas CD, but you had better hurray as today is the last day.

2. I am giving away this Decca recording of Christophe Rousset playing J.S. Bach's Italian Concerto, BWV 971, French Overture, BMV 831, and Chromatic Fantasy & Fugue, BMV 903. The performance is reported to be "one of the best Bach harpsichord recitals". It is indeed pre-listened-to CD and the cover is a bit smudged.

Why am I giving this CD away? Because, though I know I ought to like it, being Bach and all, I really really dislike Harpsichord and/or anything from the Baroque period. I did try, I really did.

Click on the pic to go to a site where you can hear some samples of the CD and find out if it suits you. If so, all you have to do to enter to win it is to post about these contests on your blog and then leave a comment here with a link to your post. Next week I'll number the comments and do a random something-er-other to select the winner.

BTW, did you know that there are 4 Bach composers? They didn't teach that at my school either. Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750) aka J.S. Bach, is the most commonly known Bach, the prolific composer and patriarch of the musical clan. He had two composer sons: Wilhelm Friedemann Bach (1710-1754) and Carl Phillip Emanuel Bach (1714-1788) aka C.P.E. Bach, and one composer grandson Wilhelm Friedrich Ernst Bach (1759-1854). Now you know.
~Suzanne


No comments: